Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Staying Positive With A Fiscal Cliff Looming


Today, I was wondering who coined this term “fiscal cliff”. I wondered if it was an off the cuff comment from one of the talking heads out there that the media ran with. I found that this term has been thrown around for decades by Republicans and Democrats alike when they have had budget disagreements. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke is the main figure credited with its bandying about this time around.

Is it truly a time to panic?

No, I don't think so. It's nothing I can control except for when I vote and I will be watching what my state leaders do. Other than that, I just have to go with the flow. What else can a person do?

Much of what affects us is really based on our reactions and perceptions. Personally, I've given up being a news junkie. It's all negativity, and if it's not, the media will find a negative spin because that keeps us watching. I don't like it.

I live by the rules of my personal economy. Stay within my means. The “bad economy” has stepped on my husband and I. His factory job will be gone by the end of 2013. That's a fact we have to deal with. However, our perception is that when God closes one door another will open. It's always been that way for us. We have the mind set that all works out for our greater good and it does.

Politicians kind of remind me of professional wrestlers from back in the day when we thought it was fake but didn't know for sure. I wonder if the politicians are good ol' buddies behind the scenes down in the deep dark secret caverns of the Capitol. Are they smoking cigars and slapping each other on the back as they plan the next drama to thrust them into some media time? I wonder if it's kind of like how the professional wrestlers choreograph their jumps off the top rope. Stranger things could happen.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think we need to take all of this fiscal cliff talk with a grain of salt. We have to stay positive. We have to live the lives we've been blessed with. After all, many of these same politicians and media people said we would be paying $5 a gallon for gas right now and that didn't happen.

Stay in your flow. Don't fight the current. Just be and breathe.

We're a resilient nation and we'll be ok, fiscal cliff or not. And remember, by definition a fiscal cliff has always been used as a threat in budget disagreements. It's something to keep in mind.

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment